1930s Locomotive Factory Industrial Pendant Light By Thorlux
1930s Locomotive Factory Industrial Pendant Light By Thorlux
1930s Locomotive Factory Industrial Pendant Light By Thorlux
1930s Locomotive Factory Industrial Pendant Light By Thorlux
1930s Locomotive Factory Industrial Pendant Light By Thorlux
1930s Locomotive Factory Industrial Pendant Light By Thorlux
1930s Locomotive Factory Industrial Pendant Light By Thorlux
1930s Locomotive Factory Industrial Pendant Light By Thorlux
1930s Locomotive Factory Industrial Pendant Light By Thorlux
1930s Locomotive Factory Industrial Pendant Light By Thorlux

1930s Locomotive Factory Industrial Pendant Light By Thorlux

Vendor
Otto's Antiques
Regular price
£250.00
Sale price
£250.00
Quantity must be 1 or more

Price is per pendant (79 available). Vitreous green enamel outer. White enamel inner reflector. Takes E27 fitting bulbs. Comes with 100cm of red braided cable. Comes with 100cm of steel suspension and ceiling hook. Polished cast aluminium tops. Salvaged from The Horwich Loco works in Lancashire, England. English, Circa 1930s. Thorlux.

Thorlux was founded by Frederick William Thorpe in 1936 in Redditch, Worcestershire. The company produced vitreous enamelled shades for lighting factories, workshops, mills and farm buildings during the progressive industrialisation of the 1930s through to the 1950s. The Horwich Loco works Horwich works was built on 142 hectares of land bought in April 1884 for £36,000.

Rivington House, the first of several workshops was 106.7m long by 16.8m wide and opened in February 1887. The long brick built workshops had full-height arched windows and were separated by tram and rail tracks. Work to construct the three bay, 463.3m long by 36m wide, erecting shop began in March 1885. Inside were 20 overhead cranes. Horwich continued in use as a works for other rolling stock up to 1983. The foundry and the spring shop continued in use after this date, although the workforce was reduced from 1400 to 300.

In an effort to publicise the redevelopment of the site into small industrial units on 20 June 1985 a BR locomotive (47 491) was named (at Horwich works) Horwich Enterprise by David Mitchell, who was Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Transport at the time. The site was sold by BREL to the Parkfield Group in 1988 and the rail connection to the works was removed in 1989. The site is now an industrial estate, appropriately named "Horwich Loco", with most of the buildings still in use.

Each lamp has been painstakingly de-assembled, with each part cleaned and polished. Once reassembled the lamps have been rewired with modern components and exposed metal parts given a coat of clear lacquer. The enamel parts will show some signs of cosmetic wear in the form of chips, dents and age marks.

As with all of our products this product is an original piece and has lived a life before it arrived at Otto's HQ. It has been sympathetically restored by the Otto's team to ensure it has a life for many more years to come. All of our products will show signs of patina and cosmetic wear, this we believe is what gives our products their unique charm.

-- 

W46 X H65cm